23 June 2012

Bubble tea and fruit

    Not sure where I should start, its my second day in Bangkok and I feel like I've been here forever! How about I recap my time then reflect?
   Yesterday after catching up on emails, etc. at JGSEE (our school) we went shopping for, forever. Since Jessica and I lucked out and got a basically empty apt we had a lot to buy. I kept catching myself thinking 40 baht for shampoo is ridiculous, and then converting to dollars (/30). In the end I didn't spend half as much money as I thought, I feel like the majority of my money will be spent on bubble tea (new obsession, I love the chewy tapioca balls) and street food which I can't get enough of! Surprisingly the tea is more expensive than most meals, and fruit more expensive than that but totally worth it.
     Okay, after shopping we came back and unpacked/reorganized and someone came to look at my broken ac unit. It was somewhat a struggle bc he didn't speak English but in the end other people came back today and are replacing a part...I think. They didn't speak English either so there was a lot of hand signals I'm not sure if I got right. We went out for some ice cream later and ended up getting bubble tea (I got coco milk which tasted like a milkshake) and then saw some tom yum (little dumplings filled w meat and soaked in a sauce that tastes like soy sauce but better) that we couldn't resist. They were only 20 baht a bag, how could I?
    Skipping to today, I woke up at 5 thanks to my sauna of a room and couldn't go back to sleep, so decides to do some yoga on the balcony (which was basically hot yoga without a mat) and then go on a run. And of course on my run I saw some amazing food stands I hadn't seen before because everyone wakes up super early to beat the heat and then sleep during the day to stay up late. I walked back after my run and bought bags of watermelon and pineapple that were perfect (which I attached a pic of, along w my ridiculous looking room. You probably can't tell but I have a king sized bed that takes up 3/4 of the room).



    One thing that has been amusing is how much everyone stares at you, were pretty much the only white people here and even when I was by myself this morning everyone looked at me like 'what are you doing at a market by yourself, white girl?'...except they don't speak English so they were probably saying in it Thai. I've been working on my Thai to no avail, I usually end up falling asleep while reading. Alright back to the apt to sweat to death, I feel like I'm on a cleanse and I didn't even agree to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment