28 June 2012

Thai Quirks


 I have been making a list over the past week of quirky things I have noticed about the culture here. Hopefully you'll find them as interesting/amusing as I do:
Never sweaty- yet always covered up (almost everyone wears pants, long sleeves/sweaters, I've even seen sweatshirts!)

Media focused on being “white” or pale – whitening deodorant, sunscreen, and lotion

Strange taste buds-
  • Weird teas! – bubblegum, “Texas longhorn,” bright green cough syrup
  • Lobster and seaweed flavored Lay’s
  • No cheese (sadly)
  • Breakfast = rice + meat or maybe an omlet
Have only seen 2 “not happy” looking Thais- everyone smiles (even when they don’t know what you’re saying)

Everyone stares! Are we tall? Fat? None of us look alike so they don’t know “what” we are?

Utensils- no knives. But lots of other stuff. Multiple spoons, forks, chop sticks!

Very clean -- 
  • Utensils in hot water
  • Always sweeping. At school and apartments!
  • Bubble tea lids- thin plastic seals the top via a machine, so no human contact involved!
  • Exchanging cash for a temporary credit card
Food Court in mall- have to put money on a card, but can get money off

Stray dogs! Everywhere, even most of them have collars. They all sleep/chill during the day but I hear them howling at night.  Pai told us they know they need to act calm in order to get food from people during the day.  I have always said dogs are smart….

No comments:

Post a Comment