22 May 2013

Hiking the Alps

....in freezing rain. Womp womp womp. We set out to hike one of the Alps (Rigi) yesterday with high hopes, or at least I did. Cool weather, beautiful views, what more could you need in life? 

Sadly it was freezing cold and raining on our hike. When we got up high enough it was even snowing...in May! As someone who grew up in North Carolina it took me about ten minutes to realize the white stuff accumulating on my pants wasn't rain but slushy snow. Sadly the ground was too warm for it to accumulate.  Also the visibility was probably 10 meters at most, I couldn't see some of my group at some points if they were a little ahead or behind me! So, sorry to disappoint but I have no beautiful picture of the Alps up close and personal, just fog. 

But anyways. We ate lunch up top and hiked down, then took a cable car the rest of the way, and then a boat back to Luzern! 

We ate dinner at a restaurant called Nix, recommended by a girl at the hotel and I got an asparagus strudel. It was surprisingly good!


We're walking around Luzern today (in the rain) and leaving for Austria tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment